Choosing a niche for your affiliate website is a challenge. There are endless possibilities, but let’s start by eliminating some of the negative thoughts you may have right from the start.
- Shouldn’t I be an expert on my niche?
- -No, although that would help. The interweb is a beautiful place. Need to know something, search it.
- I’m not sure if the niche I’m thinking of using/writing is too competitive.
- -Competition is what drives everything. Just do a quick search and check out the competition. Are there things you can do better? Are the search results even related to your niche? These are good indicators on true affiliate marketing competition. If someone looks to be dominating the first few pages of search results then go ahead and move on, if not, I say make a run at it. Financials is a niche that we got into only a year and half ago and we are doing very well and that’s one of the most competitive niches in existence.
- I think I’ll just choose ” “.
- -Please for the benefit of everyone including most of all yourself, don’t settle on a niche. Research, take some time, check for domains, think about what kind of content and site might work for each niche.
Well now that all of the negativity is out of the way, let’s move on.
Start with what you are familiar with or passionate about.
Your content and website will benefit greatly in a niche that you care about and also have knowledge on. It will be very easy for you to break in and start making money in something that you actually care about. This principle applies in anytime of business.
Here’s a brief example of how to move through a niche to finally decide on one to create an affiliate marketing site about.
You like Soccer (Football) and know every player on every team.
Starting Point: Soccer
Soccer Segements: Teams, Countries, Players, Equipment, Training
Drilldown: Soccer > Players > Equipment > Cleats > Exact cleat model and brand each pro soccer player wears
Do you see what we did there? We took a very broad topic and broke it down to something very specific that could be popular and also, most importantly, that specific people are interested in. Also, soccer cleats are a very easy affiliate income considering prices range from 80 – $299.
Now that we have our niche of “What cleats your favorite player is wearing” you can decide what time of site, buy a domain and go from there.
Looking for more detail on choosing your niche? Its all included in the Startup Affiliate Kit.